From Staff Reports
Webster County School Board members have approved the hiring of a new band director at East Webster High School.
They approved Principal Bill Brand’s recommendation to hire Jesse Yates as band director at EWHS effective Aug. 1, according to the May 8 meeting minutes.
Yates, of Starkville, has been serving as band director at Kosciusko High School. He will replace Amber Sims, who has resigned from that position effective May 31.
Sue Ann Boatman, Federal Programs director, served in the absence of Interim Superintendent Michael Adkins at the May 8 meeting.
After discussing county depository bids that had been received, Boatman recommended the board accept CB&S Bank and Bank of Kilmichael as depositories for the 2017-18 fiscal year, based upon the recommendation of Angela Avent White, business manager.
Other action taken by the board, according to the minutes:
- Approved certified staff and classified staff for 2017-18.
- Approved substitute bus driver recommendations for 2017-18.
- Approved the classified school secretary salary school, coaching supplement salary scale, maintenance/bus school personnel pay scale and bus driver salary schedule for 2017-18.
- Approved the Mississippi Adequate Education Program teacher pay school for 2017-18.
- Approved an amendment to the FY2017 Special Education IDEA Project.
- Tabled four district polices presented for annual review.
- Approved memorandums of understanding for the Educator in Residence program through the Mississippi Department of Education for Kenny Gibson and Elisa Brooks.
- Received and accepted a letter of resignation from Cindy McCarter indicating she was resigning from her position as teacher at East Webster Elementary School effective May 26.
- Received and accepted a letter of resignation from Benny Hill Jr. indicating he had resigned from his position as a bus shop helper effective April 26.
- Approved a recommendation from Brand to hire Mitchell McCurry as a teacher effective Aug. 1.
- Accepted donations to the EHS softball program and Jackie McMullan Memorial Fund.
- Approved financial reports and the docket of claims.
The board recognized Eupora Elementary School student Tiana Bingham as the Webster County Board of Education Student of the Month for May.