For the WPT
It’s resurrection day in Mantee! Sept. 9 was the first day of the renovation of Mantee’s railroad depot.
In 1904 the Mobile Jackson, referred to as MJ and Kansas City Railroad, was built through the community. According to Mississippi Rails, it was on its way from Pontotoc to Houston, Ackerman and Louisville.
Several mergers developed until 1940 to form the Gulf Mobile and Ohio Railroad. The depot, which had no electricity, was built in 1905. It had a loading dock that held bales of cotton and anything to be shipped on the local freight train.
A large water tank on the west side of the railroad furnished water for the steam engines. The boiler under the tank was heated by coal. Mary Scott’s father, William Pepper, was hired by the railroad to fill the train with water from the large water tank.
As time went on ICG received permission to abandon the railroad. It was officially abandoned on March 1, 1982.
The town of Mantee received two grants to make renovation possible — the first from MDOT Enhancement Funds and the second from Archives and History. Belinda Stewart Architects was hired for this project.