75 Years Ago: May 2, 1940
Hitchhiker Slugs Tomnolen Man
Bill Bailey, prominent young man of Tomnolen, was kind-hearted Tuesday afternoon when about four o’clock on highway 82 two miles south of Eupora he picked up a hitchhiker, who after questioning him as to how his car was running and being told that it was in poor shape, drew a revolver, ordered the car halted, slugged Mr. Bailey into unconsciousness with a blackjack, removed $12 from his shirt pocket and fled afoot.
Mr. Bailey soon recovered and returned to Eupora to notify officers. It was found that he was not seriously injured but was suffering from extreme nervousness as well he might after such a harrowing experience. No trace of the bandit has been found. He was a young man of medium build, was in need of a shave, wore a white shirt and blue pants, and had a package under his arm.
Upper Big Black News:
Misses Sadie Scott and Ruth Pritchard spent a while Saturday afternoon with Mrs. Edna Mae McDowell.
Mr. and Mrs. Ocie Shaffer and children spent the weekend with the latter’s parents, Mr. and Mrs. J. Chandler near Double Springs.
Mrs. Ada Walker and son, John, spent Sunday with her children, Mr. and Mrs. Everett Mason.
Mrs. Gaynell Cole who has been teaching at Springhill School is back home with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. George Cole, at the present.
Misses Reba and Marvilla Jackson spent Sunday night with Mr. and Mrs. Ellis Jackson.
Mr. L.H. Alexander spent Saturday night with his aunt, Mr. and Mrs. Carl Jackson.
50 Years Ago: April 29, 1965
Mr. and Mrs. J.J. Hemphill spent the weekend with their daughter, Mr. and Mrs. C.C. McRainey Jr. of New Orleans.
Mrs. James Hess of Nashville has returned home after spending several days with her mother, Mrs. Bertha Dulaney.
Mr. and Mrs. Russell Shaw of Belzoni spent Sunday with Mrs. Kara McPhail and Mr. and Mrs. Carl Roberts.
Mr. and Mrs. C.W. O’Neal, Mrs. Jack Hendricks and Miss Mertie O’Neal attended the memorial at Edward Springs Cemetery Sunday morning.
Mr. and Mrs. Jack Hendricks, Mrs. Fannie Dulaney and Mr. and Mrs. Harold Denley were Sunday night supper guests of Mr. and Mrs. Guy Hendricks of Grenada.
Mr. and Mrs. Audrey Paris of Kilmichael spent the weekend with relatives here.
Happy Hollow News:
Mrs. Susie Doss and Mrs. Wesley Mason visited with Mrs. R.H. Snyder on Saturday.
Mr. and Mrs. W.W. Harville are spending a few days in Grenada with their son and family, Mr. and Mrs. C.E. Harville.
Mrs. R.H. Snyder and son, Robert, visited with Mr. and Mrs. Lloyd Jones and family Sunday morning.
Several from the community attended the Stanley party in the home of Mrs. Junior Doss on Tuesday night.
Mr. and Mrs. Jay Harville and children spent the weekend in Louisville.
Mr. and Mrs. W.W. Harville, Mr. W.G. Bridges and Mrs. R.H. Snyder spent one day last week in the Springhill Community.
25 Years Ago: April 26, 1990
Webster County Courthouse and Jail Named Landmarks
The Webster County Courthouse and jail in Walthall have been designated Mississippi Landmarks by the Department of Archives and History.
The Old Webster County Jail, built in 1892, is the oldest public building in the county and one of the oldest jails in the state. Among the very few 19th-century jails that survive are those in Carrollton, Natchez, Canton and Macon. Roughly cube-shaped, the two story brick building has a metal-sheathed interior, a hipped standing seam roof, one chimney and segmentally arched opening for the door and its few small barred windows.
The age and rarity of the jail make it eligible for designation as a Mississippi Landmark for its embodiment of a type of 19th-century public building and for its association with events that have made a significant contribution to the political and social history of Webster County.
The Webster County Courthouse, built in 1915, is a tan brick rectangular, two story building with a hipped roof. Classical Revival with Italian Renaissance influences the building is designed to appear as if it rested upon a half-raised rusticated brick basement, with a stone base and water table, but most of this is actually the lower portion of the lower story.
Despite its 1974 interior remodeling, the courthouse is eligible for Mississippi Landmark designation based on its style and its role in Webster County’s history. “Mississippi Landmark” status is awarded to properties that have been reviewed and are culturally, architecturally or historically significant to the development of Mississippi history.