By Russell Hood
The Webster Progress-Times
The Webster County School Board has approved the transfer of 16th Section interest funds into the Maintenance Fund.
Superintendent of Education Jack Treloar, according to the April 14 meeting minutes, presented a request from then-Business Manager Heidi Young (since retired) to transfer $555,275 of 16th Section interest funds to the Maintenance Fund. The board approved the request.
As reported April 24, Treloar stated the transfer was made to cover a shortfall. He cited cutbacks from the reduction of legislative funding, the underfunding of the Mississippi Adequate Education Program, the elimination of the ad valorem reduction tax, and the rising cost of fuel and insurance.
Additionally, the board approved the issuance of a manual check to Panola Construction Co. in the amount of $155,072.06 as payment for services at East Webster High School.
In a related matter, the board approved the final change order on the EWHS construction project as documented in a Feb. 26 letter from Bailey Architecture Education to Panola Construction.
According to the letter, the actual “substantial completion date” of Oct. 21, 2013 — after the architect’s approval of days of extension — represented a delay of 138 calendar days. The letter states that the total credit due the school district after taking into account approved adds to the contract and claims for damages is $51,819.89.
In other business, according to the minutes, the board:
- approved asset disposals.
- approved a request from Principal Bill Brand that Mississippi State University be granted permission to use the EWHS baseball facility on the dates of June 2-5 and June 9-12.
- approved a request from Young to dispose of old records stored in the Central Office storeroom.
- accepted a monetary donation from Linda Williams to EWHS.
- approved the 2014-15 school calendar.
- approved the financial reports and April docket of claims.
Nancy Davis (District 2) was absent.