Johnson bound over in Grenada robbery

By Russell Hood

The Webster Progress-Times


The lone surviving robbery suspect who was in a fleeing car that struck and killed Eupora policeman Keith Crenshaw last month now awaits possible indictment on a Grenada armed robbery charge.

Brandon Johnson, 26, was bound over to a Grenada County grand jury following a preliminary hearing Tuesday in Grenada Municipal Court, according to Court Administrator Lula Steele.

Johnson is charged with the Oct. 23 armed robbery of Speedee Cash in Grenada, in which $185 was taken. Steele said Grenada Municipal Judge Jimmy Vance continued his bond at $250,000, which was set at Johnson’s initial appearance on Oct. 24. Vance has appointed Grenada attorney Bob Laster to serve as Johnson’s defender and he remains in the Grenada County Jail.

Grenada police previously said three men entered Speedee Cash and demanded money about 9 a.m. Oct. 23. They left in a Nissan Altima that matched the description of a car that fled after an attempted armed robbery an hour earlier at CB&S Bank in Eupora.

The car was later spotted in the Winona area, kept under surveillance by the Mississippi Highway Patrol and attempted to flee on U.S. 82 near Grady when the driver spotted two Webster County Sheriff’s Department’s patrol cars.

Officer Crenshaw deployed a spike strip on the highway as the chase entered Eupora. As the subjects approached they swerved into the median, fatally striking Crenshaw. The vehicle then crashed into a utility pole base. The driver was killed and a passenger died the next morning while hospitalized in Tupelo; both were from Orlando, Fla.

Johnson, also a passenger, was treated for injuries at the local hospital and transported to the Grenada County Jail upon being charged in connection with the Grenada robbery. He is also of Orlando and formerly of Eupora.

Eupora Police Chief Gregg Hunter said Tuesday that the Mississippi Bureau of Investigation continues its probe into the attempted bank robbery here and Crenshaw’s death.

Addressing the mayor and city aldermen during their regular meeting Monday night, Hunter said, “I appreciate (your) support through this tragedy.”