For the WPT
Sarah Christene “Christie” Campbell-Stroud received her bachelor of science degree in biology from Millsaps College in Jackson with a 3.49 GPA.
Millsaps held its 119th annual commencement on May 11 at 10:30 a.m. at Christ United Methodist Church in Brandon. Because of the possibility of rain, the service was moved from the Millsaps Bowl to the church.
On May 10 at 6 p.m., the baccalaureate service was held at Galloway Memorial United Methodist Church in downtown Jackson. The baccalaureate address, “Be Not Afraid; Love one Another,” was delivered by the Rev. Edwin King.
During Christie’s four years at Millsaps, she chose The Millsaps Faith & Work Initiative. This challenges students to explore issues of meaning, purpose, ethics and faith in relation to their future work and life. Faith & Work minors undertake academic courses, internships and leadership projects in an effort to develop skills and build lifelong dispositions of reflecting on “where[their] deep gladness and the world’s deep hunger meet.” – Frederick Buechner
Campbell-Stroud participated in numerous programs while at Millsaps:
• Foundations leader for three years
• Tri Delta vice president of chapter development
• Tri Delta continuing education chair
• Head of Tri Delta standards committee as well on numerous other committees, member for three years
• Member of Alpha Epsilon Delta pre-med honorary
• Tri Beta Honorary
• Member of Phi Eta Sigma honorary
• Volunteered at the Bethlehem center, after-school program in Jackson
• volunteered doing project midtown (when Millsaps helps the surrounding area especially behind the school) and the block party for four years,
• Completed minor in Faith and work
• Did two internships one with Dr. Sethi and one with Dr. Hood
• Philanthropist for St. Jude
“After Millsaps, I plan to work for one year at internal medicine and pediatric associates of Ridgeland; then, proceed to medical school. After four years there and three of residency, I will return to Eupora or the surrounding area to work as a rural physician in family medicine,” stated Christie..
Christie is the daughter of Larry and Sarah Campbell, Stewart; granddaughter of the late Virble and Christene Boatman Campbell, Stewart; the late Grady and Bonnie Thompson Spencer, Grady; great-granddaughter of the late Gladys and Lorene Dodd Boatman, Stewart; and the late Willie Clyde and Essie Tyson Campbell, Stewart; the late James William Thompson; the late Pearl Bramlett Thompson Head and Hubert Head; the late John Thomas Spencer and Missouri Frances Fleming Spencer.
She is married to Joey Stroud, who graduated nursing school in July. She is the niece of Bro. James and LaDonna Campbell Caffey, Stewart.