From Staff Reports
Webster County School District board members have given the go-ahead for construction to begin on the new physical education building at East Webster High School.
The new gym will replace the one destroyed by a tornado in April 2011 on the Cumberland campus. The board discussed construction of the PE building on June 27, according to minutes of that meeting.
Board members approved a motion to begin construction of the PE building at EWHS by having concrete slabs poured and having the metal frame hull erected.
Additionally, Sandra Dewberry discussed the liability policy she prepared for the school district for the 2013-14 fiscal year. After some discussion, the minutes state, the board voted to approve the liability insurance policy as presented and issue a manual check for the premium.
Business Manager Heidi Young presented the school district’s budget for the 2013-14 fiscal year, which the board adopted after having had a budget hearing June 20. The motion to approve the budget passed 3-1; Scott Hollenhead (District 4) voted nay and Nancy Davis (District 2) was absent.
The board then approved the district’s amended budget for 2012-13 as presented by Young.
In other business June 27, board members voted to:
• approve a driveway easement on 16th Section property, to be prepared according to the guidelines set forth by the Secretary of State’s Office.
• amend the date and time for graduation on the 2013-14 school calendar to May 18 at 2 p.m. for Eupora High School and 4 p.m. for East Webster High School.
• hire Katherine McDonald as a teacher/coach at EHS beginning Aug. 1 upon the recommendation of Principal Laci Knight.
• hire Brooke Alford as a teacher at Eupora Elementary School beginning Aug. 1 upon the recommendation of Principal Trey Rolison.
• hire Todd Hutchinson as a teacher/coach at EWHS beginning Aug. 1 upon the recommendation of Principal Bill Brand.
• transfer Sue Anne Boatman from EES guidance counselor to Webster County Career and Technology Center guidance counselor upon the recommendation of Phil Ferguson, WCCTC director.
• accept a letter of resignation from Darlene Blaylock, who had been approved to be hired for the upcoming school year as a WCCTC teacher but had not begun working.
• hire Kim Herard as a Spanish teacher at EHS beginning Aug. 1 upon the recommendation of Knight.
• approve a recommendation from Young to transfer $130,500 of 16th Section interest funds to the Maintenance Fund.
These items were approved or accepted as a part of the June 27 Consent Agenda upon Superintendent Jack Treloar’s recommendation, the minutes reflect:
• the staff development plant for 2013-14.
• a fundraiser at Eupora Elementary School.
• Lassandra Turner as a bus driver for 2013-14.
• Shedrick Shaw as a bus shop employee beginning July 1.
• bus driver and substitute bus driver recommendations for 2013-14 from Ferguson, transportation director.
• a $100 donation to EWHS from Bank of Kilmichael.
• the rehiring of Andrea Myers, Kaley Harris, Susan Fulgham and Terri Walls for 2013-14.
The board also met June 10, when members approved the hiring of Kinsey Brooks as assistant teacher and Jan Bowen as an office secretary at Eupora Elementary upon Rolison’s recommendation.
Minutes of that meeting show the board set the 2013-14 salaries for administrators and department heads, classified staff and the superintendent, plus coaching supplements and contract days. Treloar’s salary will remain the same.
The minutes state that, in executive session at a previous meeting, the board granted Eupora Elementary School teacher Janice Lamb a fully recorded and transcribed non-renewal hearing and considered all testimony, other relevant evidence and heard the personal statement of Lamb to the board.
After calling for a motion on June 10, Keith Hudspeth (District 5) moved the board approve the administrator’s recommendation to non-renew the contract of Lamb for the 2013-14 school year, records show. Scott Hollenhead (District 4) seconded the motion, which was approved 5-0.
The minutes reflect that although Davis was absent from the board meeting, she was contacted by phone and a teleconference was held for the discussion of the non-renewal, and Davis voted verbally.
These items were approved as a part of the June 10 Consent Agenda:
• Shed Shaw, Melanie Warn and Patricia Evans as substitute bus drivers for the Extended School Year program.
• a fundraiser for EWHS.
• Kenneth Wade and Michael Box as full-time bus drivers for 2013-14.
• the secretary, maintenance/bus shop employee and coaching supplement salary scales for 2013-14.