Drug arrest made at checkpoint

By Russell Hood
The Webster Progress-Times

A man arrested this weekend on a felony marijuana charge was already
wanted for failing to appear in court on a previous drug indictment.

Deputies Casey Henderson and Justin Brown made the arrest Saturday
while conducting a routine safety checkpoint on Mississippi 46 in
Mantee. While operating the checkpoint, the deputies pulled over a
car with a strong smell of marijuana emitting from the vehicle,
according to the Webster County Sheriff’s Department.

After an investigation on the car and its passengers, they discovered
about 5 ounces of marijuana along with a set of scales, a WCSD
release stated. The sheriff’s office said the amount of marijuana
discovered was almost five times the amount for it to be considered a
felony. Hundreds of dollars in cash was also seized.

Jarvis Pittman, 30, of Eupora was arrested and charged with felony
possession of marijuana with intent. He was booked into the county
jail about 7 p.m. and remains there.

Pittman was also wanted for an active bench warrant from Webster
County Circuit Court. A bench arrant is a formal order of the court
to law enforcement officers to arrest and bring to jail a person who
has failed to appear in court at a determined time and place.

Circuit Judge Clarence Morgan issued the bench warrant in January
when Pittman didn’t appear in court in connection with a 2012
indictment for sale of less than 1 kilo but more than 30 grams of

Stay Safe
on Roadways
Sheriff Tim Mitchell said his department has been cracking down on
the drug traffic in the county and will continue to do so.

He also said that with spring break under way, drunk driving
incidents usually spike, plus parties with alcohol being present.
Mitchell asked that everyone stay safe on the roadways by staying
buckled up and being vigilant of other vehicles on the roadway.

Mitchell stated that he hopes everyone has a good spring break and
returns to school safely.

Police Arrest
Man with Gun
Eupora police arrested a man after he was seen downtown with a
handgun Sunday afternoon.

“We got a call he was on Main Street and he produced a pistol to some
people in front of (Miracle Land Church and World Harvest Outreach
Ministries at 45 N. Dunn), Police Chief Gregg Hunter said of the man,
later identified as Toby Carl McKinney. Hunter said McKinney had a
pistol in his pocket and showed it to the people; the incident
occurred around 3:15 p.m. Sunday.

After officers responded, Hunter said McKinney was seen coming out of
E-Z Mart on West Roane Avenue. He was ordered to stop but fled on
foot. Hunter, along with officers Lawrence Caradine and Tayler Hitt,
pursued him on foot to Wise Funeral Home.

When Officer Mitch Jackson came around the parking lot in his patrol
car to cut McKinney off, Hunter said McKinney pointed his gun at
Jackson and cocked it. The officers again ordered McKinney to stop
and drop the weapon, which Hunter said was a .22 Magnum derringer.
Webster County sheriff’s deputies also responded and provided backup.

Hunter said McKinney ran south to the nearby railroad tracks, dropped
the pistol and was taken into custody. McKinney, 44, of Gifford
Street, remains in the county jail under a $25,000 bond. He is
charged with simple assault on a police officer and resisting arrest.

Arrest records show that McKinney was charged in 2009 with discharge
of a firearm in city limits and last August with public profanity.