Man’s death unrelated to crash

By Russell Hood The Webster Progress-Times

The death of a man seven weeks after he crashed his vehicle while fleeing a Webster County deputy apparently wasn’t related to his injuries, according to Coroner Steve Wells.

Rickey Robertson, 48, of Eupora died Dec. 23 at his home. Funeral services for him were Dec. 29 followed by burial in Bradford Chapel Cemetery. Authorities said a man later iden tified as Robertson ran the stop sign at highways 9 and 50 the night of Nov. 3. A county sheriff’s deputy who witnessed Robertson driving recklessly pursued him south on Mississippi 9.

Mitchell said Robertson, who was driving a Chrysler van, turned off the highway onto Cummings, Sibley and Rock Mountain roads before crossing the highway and ending up on Old Walthall Road headed toward Eupora. A male passenger who jumped out of the van on Rock Mountain Road was not injured, Mitchell said.

Authorities said Robertson was driving more than 80 mph when he lost control of the van, ran off the road and hit a utility pole. The van flipped, hitting two trees, and Robertson was ejected. He was admitted to the critical care unit at a Columbus hospital.

Following Robertson’s death last month, Wells said he did send for an autopsy. The coroner said Monday that preliminary autopsy results show Robertson’s death does not appear to be related to injuries received in the accident. Final autopsy results are not back yet.

Plaintiff in lawsuit dies Also last month, the plaintiff in a federal lawsuit pending against Webster County and other defendants died.

Conway Manus died Dec. 1 at North Mississippi Medical Center in Tupelo at the age of 29. He was buried in Greensboro Cemetery on Dec. 6.

Manus was involved in an altercation with county sheriff’s deputies at his Grady Road home in July 2010 when they went to pick him up after his Justice Court bond was revoked on a domestic violence charge. Other law enforcement officers were called for backup after he resisted arrest, according to court records.

A lawsuit was filed in U.S. District Court on Manus’ behalf in June 2011 against the county and others. The suit, which represents only one side of a legal argument, alleges that Manus was beaten during the altercation and after he was incarcerated at the county jail. The complaint said Manus could not walk and that his legs were numb by the next day, when he was flown to NMMC. The complaint seeks a judgment of an unspecified amount, alleging violation of Manus’ constitutional rights, false arrest and imprisonment, and other abuses.

Last June, a circuit judge remanded charges against Manus of aggravated domestic violence, two counts of simple assault of a law enforcement officer and two counts of aggravated assault of a law enforcement officer.

Manus had been receiving care at the Baldwyn Nursing Facility for medical ailments including quadriplegia and required use of a ventilator, according to the court order.