Executed child killer hid in Eupora

Compiled from Press, File Reports

A convicted murderer executed earlier this month hid out in Eupora after killing four children 20-plus years ago in Leflore County.

Henry “Curtis” Jackson Jr., 47, was sentenced to death in September 1991 for the crimes of four counts of capital murder of two nieces and two nephews aged 2 to 5 years in Leflore County.

Jackson 47, fatally stabbed them while he searched for money to steal from a safe kept in his mother’s home near Greenwood, authorities said. Jackson’s mother, Martha Jackson, was at church that evening.

Jackson was pronounced dead by lethal injection at 6:13 p.m. June 5 at the Mississippi State Penitentiary in Parchman, according to corrections department spokeswoman Jasmine Cole.

During the attack on Nov. 1, 1990, in the Rising Sun community south of Greenwood, Jackson’s sister Regina Jackson and two other nieces were also stabbed but survived. One of them, an infant at the time, was critically injured and remained paralyzed until her death in 2009.

Crashed Car Here Curtis Jackson fled after the attack, prompting an extensive manhunt throughout that weekend. He crashed his car in Eupora around 11 p.m. that Thursday after spotting law enforcement officers conducting a routine license check on U.S. 82. He abandoned the car, which bore a license tag registered to Martha Jackson, and took off on foot through the woods.

Officers found a wallet containing Jackson’s identification on the front console and his own license tag as well as a long, dark trench coat in the trunk of the vehicle.

Then-Sheriff Bill Middleton told newsmen that his deputies and all local officers, along with many other units from surrounding towns, the Highway Patrol and other state agencies, immediately ringed the city and hoped to capture the fugitive before he was able to work his way out of town.

Authorities also closed all schools in Eupora and Webster County that Friday and the following Monday.

But Jackson, eluding canine search teams, apparently hid out in the woods for two days before jumping a freight train late that Saturday night in Eupora.

Admits to Crimes Early that Sunday he exited the train in West Point, where he lived and worked. Jackson later said he went to his uncle’s house, and spent all day Sunday and Sunday night there.

His uncle talked him into surrendering and escorted him to the police station in West Point about 8 a.m. that Monday, Nov. 5, 1990. He was transported back to Leflore County that day.

Jackson admitted to the crimes but said he had no specific memory of stabbing the children, according to the Mississippi Department of Corrections.

“Through the course of nearly 22 years, death row inmate Henry Curtis Jackson was afforded his day in court and in the finality, his conviction was upheld all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court,” MDOC Commissioner Chris Epps said after the execution.

“I ask that you join me in prayer for the families of (murder victims) Shunterica Lonnett Jackson, Dominique Devro Jackson, Antonio Terrell Jackson and Andrew Odutola Kuyoro Jr. The entire MDOC family hopes you may now embark on the process of healing. Our prayers and thoughts are with you as you continue life’s journey,” said Epps.